Daddy Yankee's rapid ascent to wealth and fame is a
result of the hit song Gasolina, from his 2004 album
"Barrio Fino". The album has sold over 1,000,000 copies
in Puerto Rico alone and has also sold well in the
United States and Europe. He has appeared on over 70
albums, including compilations such as; "Más Flow 2" and
"Blin Blin Vol. 1". Ayala is famous for recording songs
in both English and Spanish, although the latter is more
prominently used. Ayala first became involved in
recording music in the early 1990s alongside DJ Playero,
a pioneer of reggaeton music. He has also performed with
Nicky Jam, Luny Tunes, DJ Blass, DJ Eric, Eliel, Nas, DJ
Tony Touch and many others. In Italy, his international
hit Gasolina is being used in a TV Ad campaign for the
new 2006 Citroën C2 Deejay. The commercial will run
through the spring and summer 2005
In 2005, Daddy Yankee was cast in a Paramount Pictures film, tentatively titled Talento de Barrio (Barrio talent). Ayala says that although the movie is not autobiographical, it does represent the lives of himself and others living on the streets of Latin America. The movie is expected to premiere on DVD in Spring 2006.
Also due out in 2006 is Daddy Yankee's own clothing line, named DY. He has also teamed up with Reebok to have his own shoes and sporting goods, to be available on May 23, 2006.
Daddy Yankee also hosts "Daddy Yankee On Fuego", a syndicated radio show from ABC Radio Networks.
- 2001: "Latigazo"
- 2003: "Gata Gangster" ft. Don Omar
- 2003: "Seguroski"
- 2004: "Gasolina" #1 US Latin, #5 UK, #12 France, #27 Japan, #3 Italy, #1 Mexico, #1 Spain, #1 Colombia, #21 Australia, #12 Switzerland, #7 Germany, #9 Billboard Hot 100 Europe
- 2004: "Lo Que Pasó, Pasó" #2 US Latin
- 2004: "Like You" #78 US
- 2006: "Rompe" #1 US Latin, #24 US
- 2005: "Tu Principe" ft. Zion y Lennox #35 US Latin
- 2006: "Gangsta Zone" ft. Snoop Dogg
- 2006: "Machucando" #2 US Latin
- 2004: Vampiros
- 2006: Talento De Barrio